Walk n’ Roll San José is funded by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission through its Climate Initiatives Program with the goal of increasing walking and biking to school, fostering a healthy and active lifestyle, and reducing traffic congestion and related air pollution, leading to a safer environment within school zones.
Your child's participation in this program will:
- Instill healthy and active lifestyle behaviors by encouraging daily physical activity in a fun and social environment.
- Improve community safety by increasing the visibility and number of students walking and biking to school.
- Reduce traffic congestion around school zones while reducing air pollution and greenhouse gases.
- Increase their sense of community.
Walk n’ Roll San Jose Offers the “Five E’s”:
- Education Through bike rodeos, assemblies and other activities, the City will provide pedestrian and bicycle safety tips, information on the benefits of an active and healthy lifestyle, and highlight the positive impact students can have on their environment through biking and walking.
- Encouragement The City will help school staff and parents organize fun activities to encourage students to walk and bike. These activities include Walking School Buses, Bike Trains, and special events such as International Walk to School Day, Bike to School Day, and monthly Walk/Bike to School Day events.
- Engineering & Evaluation The City will use a community-based approach to identify improvements that would enhance suggested walking routes to each school. The City will utilize existing grant funds and City funds to address high priority needs.
- Enforcement To increase the safety of all involved, the City will reinforce safe driving behavior in school zones through the collaborative efforts of the San José Police Department’s Operation Safe Passage and the Department of Transportation’s Parking and Traffic Compliance Team.
Please like and follow us!