Walk This Way.
Walking is a great form of exercise and a wonderful way to get around. Be sure to make safety a priority and you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of walking for many years to come.
- Always cross at an intersection and preferably in a crosswalk.
- Make eye contact with drivers to be sure you are seen.
- Look in front and behind, as well as both ways when crossing the street.
- Avoid wearing headphones or using your phone when crossing the street.
- Watch for traffic the entire time you are crossing a street.
- Be aware of turning vehicles.
- Do not cross in the middle of the street or between parked cars.
- Avoid walking in traffic where there are no sidewalks or crosswalks.
- If you have to walk on a road without sidewalks, walk facing traffic.
- Never walk behind a vehicle that is backing up.
- Wear bright colors or reflective clothing if walking at night. Consider carrying a flashlight.
- Don’t start walking if you see a flashing DON’T WALK SIGNAL.
- Wait for the WALK signal to cross the street safely.
- Always hold your child’s hand and never allow a child under 10 to cross the street alone.