Safe Driving Strategies.
Smart driving decisions are a critical part of ensuring we have safer streets. And how you drive is a reflection of the respect you have for your community. By making more conscious and conscientious choices when you’re behind the wheel, you can do your part for STREET SMARTS.
- Don’t be a distracted driver.
- Adjust mirror, seats and other controls before driving off.
- Keep your attention focused on the road, not your passengers.
- Don’t eat or drink while driving.
- Avoid using your cell phone.
- Select your in-car entertainment while parked.
- Be courteous - slow down and allow others to merge.
- Always stop at stop signs.
- Respect the right of way of others (including cyclists).
- Slow down when you see a yellow light.
- Remember, you may encounter pedestrians anytime and anywhere.
- Reduce your speed and always watch for kids and pets in neighborhoods.
- Maintain a consistent speed and keep a buffer zone between you and other cars.
- Stop for pedestrians crossing the street.
- Don’t assume pedestrians see you or that they will act predictably.
- Slow down and watch for children in school zones.