Are you a Street Smarts Safety Expert?
Whether you're walking or riding your bike, be street smart!
When you walk to school or to visit a friend be sure to be safe.
- Only cross at the corner and always use the crosswalk if there is one.
- Make sure drivers can see you.
- Always check left, right, ahead and behind before crossing.
- Watch for cars.
- Don't wear headphones or use your phone while crossing the street.
Riding your bike is great exercise and a lot of fun!
Just be sure to ride carefully.
- Wear your helmet and protect your brain!
- Make sure you can be seen. Wear bright colors and have reflectors on your bike.
- Ride in the same direction as the cars.
- Use the bike lane or ride near the right curb.
- Obey traffic signs and signals.
- Use hand signals to show you are turning or stopping.
- Walk your bike in the crosswalk.
Find out why riding your bike is fun and healthy too.
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON STREET SMARTS!
The most important thing to remember before you ride: WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!
- Imagine a Superhero who rushes to your side in an emergency and saves your life. Most of us have our very own Superhero in our garage! It's called a HELMET! Not only will it save you from about 90% of deadly head injuries, but it's also the law!
In California, anyone under 18 years old is required to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle, skateboard, scooter, or roller blades/skates. If a Police Officer sees you riding without a helmet:
- You get an expensive ticket
- You can get your wheels taken away from you
- Your parents will be notified
- You will be given a helmet anyway!
Your head is like an egg; the skull is the shell, your brain is the yolk. If you could wrap an egg securely into a helmet and drop it onto a hard surface, the egg would remain intact and unbroken. If you drop an egg with no protection onto a hard surface, it will crack, and the yolk will ooze out!! You don't want this happening to your brain!
Why is a helmet so important? Because your BRAIN is in your head, and it is the most fragile part on your body! Head injuries are more serious than any other bodily injury because you can suffer BRAIN DAMAGE.
Each area of your brain controls a part of your body. That means, if you hit a certain spot on your head, you could lose the bodily function that that part of your brain controls.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER ABOUT HELMETS:
ONE CRASH, A HELMET's TRASH!!
Helmets can develop tiny invisible cracks if it is involved in an impact, resulting in it shattering like glass in a future crash.
WEAR A HELMET THAT FITS YOU NOW!!
If helmets are too big or too small, they will not protect enough area of your head and could leave you vulnerable to serious injury. DON'T buy a helmet that is too large, thinking you will grow into it, and do get a new one if yours becomes too small!!
BUCKLE YOUR HELMET STRAPS!!
If you crash on your bike and your helmet is on, but not fastened, the helmet will fly off your head on impact, and guess what will hit the ground instead? You guessed it: your HEAD! Always buckle your straps; it's the law, too.